-by guest blogger Alokananda Dasgupta
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: SERVES 2 to 3
- 1 onion chopped into big pieces
- 7 or 8 cloves of chopped garlic . You can leave a couple of them whole.
- 1-2 thumb-size pieces of ginger, sliced into thin pieces
- 3 or 4 small fresh red chili, sliced, OR chili flakes
- 2 cups of mushrooms sliced or left in halves or quarters.
- 1 red or green pepper, sliced into broad strips
- 6 or 7 leaves of bok choy (leaves left whole if not too large, otherwise cut in half or thirds)
- 3 table spoons of dark soy sauce
- 1 table spoon of Maggi Hot and Sweet Tomato Chilli Sauce (shhhhhhh….)
- 1 table spoon of sugar
- 1 tea spoon of regular white vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper according to taste
- 2 tablespoons of Vegetable/Olive/Sesame oil
Heat a large cooking pan over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, and chillies and stir-fry just until they are aromatic for about 30 seconds. Then add the onions and the green or red peppers and stir-fry until they turn glossy and bright for about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sugar and let the onions caramelize a bit. After this add the bok choy and mushrooms and stir-fry for about 1 to 2 minutes more.Continue stir-frying until the vegetables are all tender-crisp for about 2 minutes more. To this add the soy sauce, vinegar and Maggie tomato sauce and stir-fry until the vegetables all look lightly glazed with sauce for about 1 minute more. Add salt and pepper to taste.Transfer the stir-fried vegetables to a heated serving dish. Garnish with red chillies and sesame seeds and serve immediately.